Located in the heart of downtown Buffalo, 210 Ellicott is one of the early pioneers in downtown adaptive reuse. Originally constructed in 1913 as the Seneca Paper Co. warehouse, Schneider Development purchased the vacant seven-story building in 2007, and redeveloped it into a mix of 30 upscale residential lofts and 8,800 square feet of commercial office space for Campus Labs, a tech start-up company that has grown into a highly successful national business.
In 2015, Schneider Development began selling units as individual condominiums and a year later is close to being sold out. The condominium conversion process, one of the first in downtown Buffalo, required extensive coordination and approvals from the New York State Attorney General’s office, as well the City of Buffalo Department of Assessment and Taxation. It also required substantial coordination with local banks and finance institutions who were brought on board to underwrite portfolio mortgages for buyers.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the project took advantage of Federal Historic Tax Credits, which required the development team to coordinate extensively with New York State Historic Preservation Office and the National Park Service and to comply with U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s standards for preservation. As an early mover in downtown redevelopment, the project had to find additional creative financing mechanisms to bring the project to bear, including a loan from the City of Buffalo’s Urban Renewal Agency.
Preservation Buffalo Niagara, Preservation Awards
Rehabilitation/Adaptive Reuse (2010)